Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I Am Becoming THAT Neighbor

So this morning while Thing One and I were out in the yard, I noticed the HS age neighbor slouching down the street toward his house with his backpack. We are not within walking distance of the school. Where did he come from? Why isn't he in school? Knowing that his mom was having some trouble getting him to go to school over the winter, you can imagine where my mind went for these answers.

So do you rat him out?

Feeling like the world's biggest busy-body, the world's oldest tattle-tale, I called his mom at work. Because I want to live in a neighborhood where we are all watching out for each other, where we pick up each other's slack, where the village is raising the child (oh, I tried so hard to avoid that last cliche!). And even though I am the last mom in the neighborhood who has not gone back to working outside the house, I am really hoping someone will be there to rat on MY kids when they are not where they are supposed to be.

9 comments:

Jenn Maruska said...

You are a good neighbor and in the long run - doing the right thing for him. Maybe someday he will realize that.

Your earlier post on cleaning the kitchen is interesting. I am so at peace when my kitchen is clean - but we eat late dinners at my house, and I struggle to make myself wash up those dishes before bed. It seems like I'm always cleaning the kitchen.

: )

msbelle said...

You could just simply ask if his school let out early or something like that, that you saw him walking when you thought he should have been in school and were concerned about him. Act concerned instead of 'ratting'. Perhaps you'll feel better if you look at it that way. :)

Steph said...

jenn -
that is my problem too. late dinners.

Ginger - that is a good way to look at it.

stilettoheights said...

I would have ratted him out too, lol.

maia (glassbeach) said...

I would have ratted, too, and I think you did the right thing. And I'd call you about your kids if I were your neighbor.

Steph said...

Thanks everyone! I knew it was the right thing. I just felt like such a GROWN-UP.

Recy Vintage & Creations said...

Yes, I think calling his Mom was the right thing to do.

Beck said...

I'd have called. It's being a GOOD neighbour.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I commend you and applaud your calling his mom. Many, many years ago, I skipped school & was dumb enough to "hide out" at the playground up the street from our house. A neighbor saw me & told my mom. Yeah, she was mad & yeah I got in trouble.

Now that I have a kid of my own...I do see that this was the right thing to do.