Wednesday, July 4, 2007

A Garden Mystery


See the stems peeking out of the lily of the valley? Well at one time, they were much taller and I believe they are purple cone flowers (echinachea). What happened to them? Seem too tall to be nibbled by rabbits. I have never seen any sign of deer. There was a nearby plant (I think maybe it is a black-eyed susan) that was also eaten completely, leaving at least 8 to 12 inches of stem as well. Meanwhile the false sunflower and bee balm right next to these two plants were left untouched.

???????

3 comments:

Beck said...

Um, could it be... raccoons?
Do raccoons eat things like that?

Recy Vintage & Creations said...

I didn't know that purple cone flowers and echinachea were the same thing!? Hmmm... learned something new today. :)

Candace said...

Hum...I keep a look out for deer. I can't imagine what else it would be. It's sad when your beautiful flowers get mowed by something. My problem this year is in my strawberry patch....I have a little chipmunk, that loves to eat them all...oh, well he's lucky he's so cute and fun to watch. LOL!