Wednesday, July 25, 2007

One Local Summer - Week Five


This is a bit of a redo of last week's meal. We had a lot of goodies left over. I bought a hot pepper from a farm stand operated by inner-city teens. They have an urban garden in Lancaster (7 miles from me) that they plant and maintain with guidance from the adults who started the program. They have a stand at Eastern Market, which is also where I was able to purchase from Promisedland Farms and the farm that raises the free-range chicken in this dish. The hot pepper led me to make a chicken/veggie saute with a more Southwestern flair. In additon to the hot pepper and chicken, I used green pepper, green onion and red tomatos from Harvest Lane Farms, 3 miles away. My cheats were olive oil and seasonings.

The exciting addition to the meal was CORN BREAD! Last night, while wandering the grocery (our grocery store is a family owned dairy/grocery that puts a big focus on local producers) I found locally milled corn meal. The company is Haldeman Mills in Manheim, PA, about 20 miles from us. So I decided to make corn bread from scratch. This had my husband chuckling and Thing One wide-eyed with amazement. I found some flour in the bulk foods section that is distributed locally, and I am waiting for a call back from the store letting me know whether or not it is also produced locally. The milk came from the dairy at the grocery store. And the butter from Guernsey's Gift Market in East Petersburg (7 miles.) The egg was also local. So the only cheats in the cornbread were the sugar and the baking powder.

We rounded out the meal with sweet corn grown by my Dad's cousin (2 miles) and plums again.

11 comments:

Sandra Eileen said...

I too love cornbread.. it makes so many meals complete.

msbelle said...

Fantastic!! Cornbread is hard to beat when it's made right. It's wonderful that you have found so many locally produced things. You're doing a great job!

Unknown said...

love all the summer foods, especially sweet corn and plums...yummy!

Tracey said...

Yum, yum and furthermore . . . yum!

Unknown said...

Delicious!

Recy Vintage & Creations said...

Mmmmmm... cornbread from scratch is one of my favorites ever! That is so neat that you found locally milled corn meal!

Mikaela said...

What a well-rounded OLS meal, and what a score on the cornmeal! :)

Leslie said...

Yum ...

Faith said...

Hey! I used that corn meal in my OLS meal, too! Doesn't the packaging just crack you up?

Felicia said...

Mama always used to make cornbread in a cast iron skillet in the oven. She ruined me for any other type of cornbread :)

Felicia
http://fluffyflowers.typepad.com/

Jenn Maruska said...

Gosh that sounds GOOD! : )